Saturday, November 12, 2011

Young Women in Excellence

For Young Women in Excellence this year, we came up with a fabulous theme: Of Good Report. The first time we came up with it, I just LOVED it and got goosebumps (for real!). It just fit so perfectly with our theme for the year, which was the 13th Article of Faith and fit with the purpose of YW in Ex- to report back on the things the girls have been doing through out the year. Thus, we had a news broadcast from KYW tv with news anchors, interviews, special

This is the fabulous script the Young Women (below)
wrote up (I love it!):
Young Women in Excellence

Conducting: Caitlyn C

Welcome parents and Stake leaders

Opening Song: “Have I Done Any Good” #223

Leading: Marissa M

Playing: Sister Largey

Opening Prayer: Hailey M

Theme: Sister Liu

Caitlyn: Turn it over to the News Reporters: Hannah and Alyssa

Alyssa: We are here at KYW with Hannah P, an expert on Personal Progress. Hannah, what is Personal progress?

Hannah: Personal Progress is a wonderful tool the Lord has given us to help us prepare for the future.

Alyssa: Can you go more in depth?

Hannah: Of course, Personal Progress has 8 values: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good works, Integrity and Virtue. For each value you complete 6 value experiences and one ten hour project. These help us stand for Truth and righteousness.

Alyssa: So, you have finished your personal Progress, what is your reward, and what do you do afterwards?

Hannah: As I was working on my personal Progress I was able to earn ribbons after I finished each value. And at the end, I got my young women medallion. Now I am able to work on my bee.

Alyssa: What is your bee?

Hannah: A bee is something you can work on after you receive your personal Progress this is where you re-read the Book of Mormon in a year or less and do 40 hours of service. You can get these hours by helping others with their Personal Progress, like your mother. Did you know Mothers and leaders are encouraged to do their Personal Progress as well?

Alyssa : Wow I didn’t know that. That is so cool. We will now hear a good report from one of OUR leaders, Sister Largey.

*****Sister Largey******

Thanks for having me, Alyssa. Our Mutual theme for the year comes from the 13th Article of Faith which is something we all learned in Primary long ago. I have here with me one of our newer Beehives, Hailey M. Hailey, will you say the 13th Article of Faith for us? Thank you.

Now, if you notice at the end, it says “If there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy we seek after these things.” So, for our YW in Excellence tonight, we have been seeking out the praiseworthy things our Young Women have been doing and we are coming to you live to bring a good report of all these things.

I want you to know how proud I am of each of these girls. They have worked hard and done great things. Hannah G was such an inspiration to me as I worked on my own Personal Progress because she was proof that it’s not really hard and doesn’t really have to take forever. Caitlyn surprised me by being almost done and I had NO idea, Marissa puts so much thought into each of her projects and even Cayla, who hasn’t even been 12 for 6 months yet, has some awesome projects in the works.

I am thankful for this Young Women’s program, how it helps us grow and develop in the gospel, how it encourages us to read the scriptures, be nice to others, learn skills we didn’t know before, to do service, to write in journals- it’s great! And, it gives us a chance to celebrate our amazing Young Women and the good work they do. Later on in the broadcast tonight, we will be hearing a report from each of these girls, so stay tuned! But right now, it’s back to Alyssa and Hannah!

Hannah P: We have a guest on the show tonight that has only been in YWs for less than two years but is flying through her Personal Progress: Hannah G!

Alyssa: Hannah you are only thirteen how did you get motivated to do your p.p.?

HG: I just wanted to get it done.

Alyssa: On average how long does an experience take?

HG: Some require two weeks but then some are just mainly questions that take about less than 20 minutes.

Alyssa: What? 20 Minutes? You can finish an experience in 20 minutes? Everyone can do that right?

HG: Yes. It is not that hard at all if you put your mind to it. Some of the normal things you do in your life can be used as a project/ Experience. Such as when we did the road show I could count that towards the Individual worth project. Also I volunteer at the Scera Theater on State Street. I counted that towards Good works.

Alyssa: Name one of your favorite experiences:

HG: One of my favorite experiences would have to be helping my mom make dinner. Not only did I get to learn her secrets to cooking but I also to got to know her better.

Alyssa: How does your mom help you with your Personal Progress?

HG: Well my mom helps me by keeping track of it and encourages me to reach my goals.

Alyssa: Tell me about how online personal progress works:

HG: Well you have your own account and it is just like your book but a whole lot easier because you can just click and read it then do it then send it to Sister Largey for approval to be checked off. It is a lot easier as well, because you will never lose the data like losing your book and having to restart it all.

Alyssa: Hannah, you are amazing, thank you for your time.

Hannah P: We now have the chance to talk to each of our YW to hear some good reports on their Personal Progress Projects and to award ribbons to those who have earned them. Over to you, Sister Liu!

Sis. Liu talks to each of the Beehives:

Hailey- Scuba lessons Award Knowledge

Cayla- Food drive

Hannah G.- Award Good Works and Choice and Accountability

Sis. Mortensen talks to each of the Mia Maids:

Jaida- ?

Marissa- Award Faith

Alyssa- Award Knowledge and Individual Worth

Sis. Largey talks to the Laurels:

Caitlyn- Award IW, Knowledge, C and A, Good Works, Integrity,

Hannah passes out awards to her Mom- Award Virtue and Divine Nature

and Sis. Largey - Award Faith, Divine Nature, C and A, Good Works, Integrity and Virtue: and medallion!

Turn the time back to Alyssa

Alyssa: Those were some amazing reports on the good things you have all been doing. Keep it up, girls! Oh, this just in. We will now have a chance to hear some words from our great Bishop- Bishop Astle. After that, Cayla will give us a closing prayer and we will have dessert. Thanks for watching KYW!

Remarks by Bishop

Closing Prayer: Cayla C

Here's the table decor with the most delicious oreo cupcakes Hannah P. made- yum! Notice how everything is made of newspaper? Paper skills...

The girl's table display

No comments:

Post a Comment